Thursday, December 3, 2009

Vegetarian (no one knew it!) Mushroom Gravy Recipe


Gravy makes me think of biscuits and gravy and lard and fattening stuff and blah! Let's just say, I'd NEVER buy it in a jar, can or chemically charged pouch. This led me to search for a perfect gravy to top off the stuffing and Quorn roast that I made for Thanksgiving.

This recipe was pulled from About.com and can be found here. The first batch that I had made turned out way too salty and I ended up throwing it out ( I did try saving it but just made it worse). I've modified the recipe and reduced the amount of Bragg's Liquid Aminos and omitted the additional salt.

Both veg and non loved it. I'm working on perfecting (dominating rather) homemade Seitan, this gravy would be perfect on it.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup white or button mushrooms, chopped
1 small yellow or white onion, minced
1/4 cup vegan margarine
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or tamiri / soy sauce)
1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp poultry seasoning (or 1/2 tsp each of sage, thyme and marjoram)
Pepper to taste

Preparation:

In a large skillet, melt the vegan margarine and add onion and mushrooms. Sautee for just a minute or two over high heat.

Reduce heat to medium and add vegetable broth and soy sauce. Slowly add flour, stirring well to combine and prevent lumps from forming. Bring to a simmer or a low boil, then reduce heat.
Add poultry seasoning and pepper, stirring consistently. Allow to cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until gravy thickens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment