Sunday, September 30, 2012

Changing Direction (but no pivoting and cutting)

I blew out my ACL on July 4th and tore my medial and lateral menisci. Had the reconstruction on the 18th and began recovery. It wasn't pretty. I don't take well to resting and recovery. I wasn't able to workout. It was depressing.

When I finally stopped feeling sorry for myself, I resolved to the fact that throughout the next six months I'd have to find a new way of working out. Under strict orders from my PT and surgeon I could not cut or pivot, jump or run. 

I decided to go back to my roots and weight train. Found a great trainer, a routine, a new eating plan (and new obsessive goals). Ohhh do I feel better. 

It took one week, one workout back at the gym to feel better. I honestly don't understand how people do not move their bodies in exercise (medical limitations excluded, I do get that). How can you not want to feel better than your current state - whatever that current state is? I am so much of a better person, better mother, better partner, better employee and just a better version of me when I work out. I sleep better, eat better, fit into my clothes better. I honestly think it's the only hour in my day that my mind isn't doing ten twenty fifty things.

I've never once worked out and thought, "Wow, that was a waste of time".

So, why do you workout? Maybe a better question for yourself - why are you not?

0 comments:

Post a Comment