Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Perfectly Rich and Silky Ice Cream; one ingredient and no maker needed!

I'm sitting down tonight, earlier than usual and had to share a dessert that I just made. I'm super excited about it and the fact that I was able to get it done in 2 minutes, makes it even better. I should also mention that since I've been prego, I crave ice cream and I don't even believe in pregnancy cravings, however, ice cream has my heart (and belly) at the time.

I ran across this today on the kitchn blog and was intrigued enough to add it into my evening detail. The title to the post is "How to Make Ice Cream with Just One Ingredient" frozen bananas.

Seriously? Do you know how many frozen bananas I have waiting for me in my freezer? I usually will whip'em into a healthy banana bread or muffins or add into something that I'm baking. Lately, I haven't had the luxury to bake and my frozen banana stash has been growing. BTW, don't ever throw a brown banana out, peel it and throw it the freezer in a ziplock for baking, smoothies and now, voila, ice cream.

Since I was intrigued (and slightly obsessed) I mean really, how could you get luscious, delicious, creamy, smooth ice cream out of frozen bananas??? I'll tell you, pull them out of the fridge, cut into chunks and throw into your food processor - that's it. Watch in amazement how they whip into ice cream right before your eyes.



and of course.. it was so good!



The major tips can be summed up as: (click here for a step by step slideshow, it's pretty)
• Peel your bananas first.
• Cut them into small pieces.
• Freeze for just 1-2 hours on a plate. (mine were in a ziplock in the freezer for who knows how long)
• Blend, blend, blend - scraping down the bowl when they stick.
• Enjoy the magic moment when they turn into ice cream!

0 comments:

Post a Comment