Sunday, February 21, 2010

Perfect Pumpkin Spice Muffins


My sister loves everything pumpkin; lattes, pies, cookies, pumpkin butter. She recently drove in for a visit and I thought I'd surprise her with fresh baked muffins. The recipe that I first used was out of the norm for me, calling for 1 cup of brown sugar and vegetable oil - not really the way I look to start out my day. So as usual, I switched things up a bit and am happy with the results. I also replaced the 2 large eggs with additional pumpkin. Eggs, not really needed (click here for perfect egg subs).

These muffins take 5 minutes to whip up and are an awesome way for you to start out your morning - no refined sugars, no white flours and everything that treats your body good.

  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 1 1/2 cup pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • Rolled oats
  • Some raisins or dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease muffin pan with coconut oil.

Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Beat agave and pumpkin in medium bowl until blended (I do this with a fork), add water and vanilla, stir. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Add a handful of raisins, stir. Fill muffin tin with batter. Sprinkle each muffin with rolled oats and press lightly into batter.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool in pans, remove to wire rack (i never do this.. muffins are still sitting in their tins - whoops).

If you really want to pick things up a bit, throw in some toasted wheat germ, chia seed and/or flax meal.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment