Thursday, October 29, 2009

4 Bean Smoky Soup - Oh So Good!

I haven't posted any new recipes as I've been sick this week which also means I haven't been the cooking machine that I normally am which also means... no amazing food ready and waiting for me when I get home.

When I'm sick I crave spicy food in a big bad way. There's something about the heat in a spicy dish that is just comforting, feels good.. I also think that I'm burning the "bad guys" and killing them all (insert evil laugh here). Ah, I've whipped up two things this week to keep me going.. one recipe I'm still working on but the post here is from Rhymes with Vegan; love, love, love her stuff and bonus she's in MN as well (random).
Anways, this soup is SO good, the original post includes imitation bacon bits, I’ve omitted these for two reasons 1) why add a chemical sh*t storm to a perfectly healthy soup and 2) I think they're pretty disgusting and ok another reason 3) I made it the first time with Morningstar bacon and ended up picking it all out. Second time, no bacon and it was perfection! Don't skip on the liquid smoke, it adds such a nice layer, you'd be robbing yourself.

12 cups water
2 TBS Veggie Base - Better than Bullion
1 can black beans
1 can white beans
1 can red beans
1 can pinto beans
3 carrots – chopped
2 celery ribs – chopped
½ yellow onion – chopped
3 cloves garlic – minced
½ tbsp thyme – finely chopped
½ cup braggs (you can also use tamari)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
¼ tsp liquid smoke
2 scallions – for garnish (if you're feeling fancy..)

In a large stockpot, bring 12 cups of water to a boil, while water is heating up, chop your onion, celery and carrots, mince garlic.  Once water is boiling add 6 cubes of veggie bullion (I use Not-Beef but any kind will work) , stir to dissolve lower heat. Add celery, garlic, onion and carrots, turn heat on high and bring to a boil. Add your Braggs and let simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes.

In a colander, rinse each can of beans thoroughly (this helps remove the build up of starch. Beans are well rinsed when you no longer see bubbles) add the beans once they have been rinsed off, add diced tomatoes. Keep the soup on a medium simmer for 8-10 minutes, add in liquid smoke– I start with half of the listed amount and go from there, depends on how smoky you like it! Served this for dinner with friends (non-veg) and they loved it, goes great with some warm crusty bread! Live well and eat even better ~ Donielle

0 comments:

Post a Comment